Saving energy and money is a priority for homeowners and business owners throughout the country. Whether it’s a warm Maryland summer or a chilly winter, there are many easy ways that you can save energy heating and cooling your home. Here are five of our favorites!
Keep Your Energy Bills Low
- Keep the heat out of your home during the day in the summer. Instead of throwing the curtains open to get some sun, keep your blinds and curtains closed. If you have large windows that produce a great deal of heat, consider adding a tint or window treatment to block out the sun’s rays. This will help keep your home cooler and prevent your air conditioner from kicking on too often.
- In the winter, use the heat from the sun to heat up your home for free! Do the opposite of what you do in the summer and throw open the curtains and blinds to allow as much sun as possible to get inside. If you have a shady side of your home, close the curtains and blinds on that side to prevent a chill from lingering.
- Leave your thermostat alone as much as possible. If you are constantly fiddling with your thermostat settings, you are wasting energy. If you can afford to add it on, you should install a programmable thermostat to automatically adjust your temperatures without needing to change it manually. You should always program your thermostat (whether you have a smart thermostat or a programmable thermostat) to kick off when nobody is home or when you are sleeping.
- Make your house airtight. Do you have drafts and leaks in your home? Take the time to seal any air leaks around your doors, windows, or fireplaces using caulk or weather stripping. If you have the time and budget to do so, you should also consider adding insulation to your home in the attic. Adding the right amount of insulation in the right places could save hundreds on your heating and cooling bills every month.
- Know when to replace your existing equipment. If your heating and cooling system is over a decade old, it might be time to swap it out for newer, energy-efficient equipment.
We Are Proud of the Company We Keep
William E. Kingswell has remained a distinguished provider of commercial and residential heating and cooling services since 1937. We have provided an unmatched level of customer service to all of our clients, and we enjoy being the preferred HVAC equipment distributor of countless customers. We offer a comprehensive range of high-quality heat pumps, boilers, unit heaters, HVAC accessories, and more. William E. Kingswell works with businesses and homeowners throughout Maryland, Washington, D.C., and Virginia, including Baltimore, Frederick, Annapolis, Fairfax, Manassas, Richmond, Fredericksburg, Virginia Beach, and Leesburg. To learn more about our extensive range of SpacePak, Concord, Allied Commercial, and Bard HVAC equipment, give us a call at 301-937-1900 or contact us today!