Do you love using candles? They really do make a difference when you want the air inside your home to smell better. Two of the best places to light a candle are in the kitchen and in the bathroom. Both of these rooms tend to be on the smaller side and are enclosed spaces that need better ventilation. But how do candles affect the IAQ in the rest of your home?
What Science Says
Paraffin and other materials used for candle-making can contain harmful chemicals. These chemicals are released when the candle is lit and will remain in the air. That’s why you need to be even more careful. Soot left over from the smoke in the candle can also stick to your walls and ceilings. You might not notice them when these particles enter your lungs.
Lighting a candle can be a relaxing way to unwind after a busy or stressful day. However, you should exercise caution the next time you decide to light one. This isn’t just for the sake of fire safety either. Here are some helpful suggestions:
- Don’t burn them in rooms without proper ventilation: make sure you keep the door open and crack the windows so that the smoke can get outside or leave the room.
- Find the right candle: Find all-natural candles that use beeswax instead of candles that are loaded with harmful chemicals. This advice also goes for any wax melts you want to use to avoid problems caused by an open flame.
- Trim the wick: Take a closer look at the wick attached to your candle. Trim the wick before each use so that it doesn’t curl over on itself and cause any problems.
- Don’t burn them too long: At most, burn your candle for an hour and then blow it out.
- Get an air purifier: Sometimes, you need to clear the air around you. Air purifiers can get rid of contaminants in the air and make it safe for you and everyone in your family.
We Are Proud of the Company We Keep
William E. Kingswell has remained a distinguished provider of commercial and residential heating and cooling services since 1937. We have provided an unmatched level of customer service to all of our clients, and we enjoy being the preferred HVAC equipment distributor of countless customers. We offer a comprehensive range of high-quality heat pumps, boilers, unit heaters, HVAC accessories, and more. William E. Kingswell works with businesses and homeowners throughout Maryland, Washington, D.C., and Virginia, including Baltimore, Frederick, Annapolis, Fairfax, Manassas, Richmond, Fredericksburg, Virginia Beach, and Leesburg. To learn more about our extensive range of SpacePak, Concord, Allied Commercial, and Bard HVAC equipment, give us a call at 301-937-1900 or contact us today!
We’re social! For all of the latest updates, “like” and “follow” us on Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn!